There are certain types of businesses that need a licence to operate legally. The most common licensing enables businesses to sell alcohol and food. . 

The types of businesses and organisations that need a licence include: 

  • pubs and bars 
  • cinemas and theatres 
  • nightclubs 
  • late-opening cafes and takeaways 
  • village and community halls

You’ll also need a licence for the following: 

  • theatrical performance 
  • showing a film 
  • indoor sporting event 
  • boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor) 
  • live music and/or recorded music 
  • Dance and dancing facilities 
  • facilities for making music 

Even if the activities are for charity, a licence is still required. 

The different licences required

A premises licence covers the building where the business will operate.  (In the Licensing 2003 Act the premises is defined as a vehicle, vessel or moveable structure or any place or part of any premises)Once the premises have been inspected and met with all current health and safety and fire regulations, the licence can be issued 

The personal licence ensures that anybody running or managing a business that sells or supplies alcohol will do so in a professional fashion. Once in receipt of a personal licence, you can act as the designated premises supervisor (DPS) for any business selling or supplying alcohol. 

To apply for a personal licence an accredited qualification is required. For example, the BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders or similar. This is to ensure that licence holders understand licensing law and the responsibilities involved in the sale of alcohol. 

Any previous criminal convictions will need to be declared and may cause the relevant authorities to reject the application. 

How can Kidwells solicitors help?

  • There are many businesses where you will need to obtain a licence to operate legally. To trade without a licence when one is needed can lead to serious consequences – it is often considered a criminal offence. It also risks fines or being shut down. 
  • Make sure to check if you require a licence before going into operation. Without holding the appropriate licence for your company, you also may not be able to get business insurance. 
  • Kidwells Solicitors has the expertise to help you navigate licensing your business. We’ll be able to advise if you need a licence, explain how much it will cost, help you apply, and support you in following the rules required. 

Contact Us

Complete the contact form to find out more

Our normal office hours are Monday to Friday, 7.30 am to 5.30 pm.

For urgent matters, the phone line is monitored 24 hours a day.

Contact Us

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.